IAMC condemns dastardly terror attack in Kashmir
Zakia Jafri’s plea in the Supreme Court, challenging the SIT’s clean chit to the then Gujarat chief minister Narendra Modi in connection with the 2002 Godhra riots, will be heard in July, the apex court said on Monday. A bench headed by Justice A M Khanwilkar listed the matter for hearing in the month of July. Zakia, the wife of ex-MP Ehsan Jafri who was one of the 68 killed in Ahmedabad’s Gulberg society, has challenged the Gujarat High Court’s October 5, 2017 order rejecting her plea against the SIT’s decision.
Engraved in Nastaliq script on a shining white marble plaque, this Urdu couplet — penned by the Persian poet Hafiz — decorates the gate of a 200-year-old building located on a quiet lane in Mumbai. It’s a fitting tribute to Umar Sobani, the Indian patriot and secularist who owned the building before he gave it away for a cause.
Two days after the attack on a Central Reserve Police Force convoy in Kashmir’s Pulwama district on February 14 that left at least 40 security personnel dead, disconcerting reports began to emerge from across India: Kashmiri students and businessmen were said to be facing harassment from Hindutva mobs holding them collectively responsible for the tragedy in the Valley. Just as quickly, another trend swept over social media. People from New Delhi, Mumbai, Bengaluru and other places tweeted that Kashmiris feeling threatened were welcome to find shelter in their homes. Among those who invited Kashmiris to their homes in Delhi were high-profile journalist television journalists Barkha Dutt and Rajdeep Sardesai.
- In wake of Pulwama tension, people across India offer to open their homes to Kashmiris under threat
- The Bombay building that brought Hindus and Muslims together to free India
- It is time that the followers of Right-wing Hindu groups realise they are the real anti-nationals
- ‘BJP Terrorists’ wielded weapons and challenged Life and Security of Students: AMUSU
- Police Brutality leaves Youth Leader Richa Singh with Internal Head Injuries
- Supreme Court To Hear Zakia Jafri’s Plea Against Clean Chit To Modi In Gujarat Riots In July
- Sunday showdown: Hoardings with ‘Modi No Entry’ slogans lined up ahead of PM visit
- BJP’s Mukul Roy booked in TMC MLA’s murder case, applies for anticipatory bail
- Supreme Court sacks 2 of its own over change in order on Ambani
- FAKE ALERT: Rahul Gandhi’s photo with Pulwama suicide bomber
- On Stage With PM Modi, Tripura Minister Groped Colleague, Video Shows
- Amnesty India staff complain of harassment and discrimination
Opinions & Editorials
- Pulwama Attack: How Terror in Kashmir is Booming Under Modi’s Rule – By Aditya Menon
- Solidarity Is the Best Form of Self-Defence for Students of AMU – By Shah Alam Khan
- The fear of freedom in Gujarat – By Ramachandra Guha
- Ten years as an undertrial, but no justice in sight: The tragic fate of Zakariya – By Najiya O
- For democracy’s sake, EVMs must have proper VVPAT-based audit – By V Ramani and K Ashok Vardhan Shetty
- CAG report on Rafale highlights the flawed process – Editorial