More than 600 theatre personalities, including Amol Palekar, Naseeruddin Shah, Girish Karnad and Usha Ganguli, have signed a letter asking people to “vote BJP and its allies” out of power, arguing that the idea of India and its constitution are under threat. The letter, which was issued Thursday evening in 12 languages on the Artist Unite India website, said the upcoming Lok Sabha elections are the “most critical in the history” of the country.… “Today, the very idea of India is under threat. Today, song, dance, laughter is under threat. Today, our beloved Constitution is under threat,” they said. The government has “suffocated” the institutions where argument, debate and dissent were nurtured, the letter stated.
In September 2018, Irshad Khan was on his way to the district court in Behror in Alwar district, when masked men in a car without a number-plate approached his vehicle and fired in the air. Irshad was on his way to testify in the murder trial of his father, Pehlu Khan, who had been attacked in April 2017 by a group of cow vigilantes while transporting cows from a cattle fair in Jaipur. Irshad never reached court that day. “They wanted to frighten us,” he told FactChecker on a recent February day….. Seeking justice after a hate crime in Rajasthan is fraught with such suspicions and misgivings, giving rise to a maze of allegations and counter-allegations that are difficult to unravel and rarely end in closure for the purported victims.
With the accused in the 2015 lynching of Mohammad Akhlaq on the suspicion of possession of beef sitting in the front row, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath invoked the incident at a rally in his village Bisara in Greater Noida on Sunday.… Key accused in the lynching case Vishal Singh Rana, the son of local BJP party worker Sanjay Rana, and Puneet were among those in the crowd. Vishal claimed that 16 of the 19 accused were part of the audience. Vishal had been charged under IPC Sections 302 (murder) and 307 (attempt to murder), among others. However, the charges are yet to be framed, with the case pending in a fast-track court.
- Lynching accused in front row, Yogi says at Dadri: ‘SP govt tried to curb our emotions’
- Hindus feature on NIA’s most wanted terror accused list
- Seeking Justice For Hate Crimes In Rajasthan: Fearful Witnesses, Transfer Pleas, Police Inaction
- Education A Fetish With BJP Leaders? Queen Oja ‘Fudges’ Education Details in Poll Affidavit
- 600 theatre personalities urge people to vote against ‘bigotry, hatred, and apathy’
- Rs 1.8 cr in cash seized from Arunachal CM’s convoy, EC should file case against PM: Congress
- Elections 2019: Monitor Online Spending by Political Parties, Digital Platforms
- Banaras Hindu University tense after blood spills on campus
- India’s ASAT test created debris, raised risk for International Space Station: NASA
- Elections 2019: Two Decades After Worst Dalit Massacre in Jehanabad, Kin Still Await Justice
Opinions & Editorials
- Dear Narendra Modi, Hindutva terror is a fact, not a fiction – By Ashok Swain
- RSS Fascist, Deceitful, Nothing But Communal – AG Noorani with Akshay Deshmane
- Facebook being manipulated by Modi and BJP to influence election outcome? – By Feroze Mithiborewala
- Decline of Brand PM Modi: From PM to BJP leader – By Kay Benedict
- “Hindutva is waging a war against those whom it calls Others” – By Nayantara Sahgal
- Voters rate govt ‘below average’ on governance, says ADR report, holds to account all of India’s political class – By Partha P Chakrabartty