Hindutva terrorists gang-raped Bilkis Bano and killed 14 members of her family including 2-year-old child in 2002, she has some closure to her ordeal 17 years later
The Supreme Court on Tuesday directed Gujarat’s BJP-led government to give Rs 50 lakh in compensation to Bilkis Bano, who was gang-raped during the 2002 anti-Muslim genocide under the Narendra Modi government. The Supreme Court..… also ordered the state government to provide the victim a government job and accommodation at a place of her choice. The court expressed its anguish over her plight saying that she had been living a life of a nomad since 2002, when a Hindu mob aided by the Gujarat Police had killed nearly 4,000 people, mostly Muslims. The official number of those killed in the genocide is only 1200. Narendra Modi was the then chief minister of the state.
As polling draws closer, top BJP leaders are raising the spectre of imminent collapse of the Kamal Nath government soon after the Lok Sabha election to hold out an open threat to the bureaucracy. State BJP president Rakesh Singh on Saturday warned the chief secretary and the director general of police (DGP) of dire consequences if they acted against party workers under directions of the “unstable” Congress government. Singh, who is contesting the Jabalpur
seat, held out the threat following detention of a BJP worker by the police in Gohalpur police station in the city for violating the Model Code of Conduct..… In similar vein, former chief minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan threatened the Chhindwara collector for denying him permission to land the BJP leader’s chopper after 5 pm two days ago.
The horrifying spectacle of the Mumbai terror attacks that held us all paralysed for 60 hours, killing more than 187 persons and injuring dozens, also took the pressure off the saffron alliance, squirming for once, for being openly associated with acts of bomb terror. The sangh parivar, including its parliamentary face, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), had been facing acute embarrassment, October through November 2008, over the revelations in the Malegaon blast investigations. Six persons died when pipe bombs placed on a motorcycle in a crowded street of Malegaon exploded on September 29, 2008, the eve of Id celebrations in the month of Ramadan.… What was Karkare’s crime, for which he was a hunted man, targeted by the sangh parivar the day he died?
- Hindutva terrorists gang-raped Bilkis Bano and killed 14 members of her family including 2-year-old child in 2002, she has some closure to her ordeal 17 years later
- Huge victory for IAS officer Mohammed Mohsin, CAT stays EC’s order to suspend him for checking PM Modi’s helicopter
- Sadhvi Pragya is not innocent, reveals former IGP in his book
- BJP threats to bureaucracy in Madhya Pradesh
- ‘Conspiracy’ against CJI: ‘Do rich and powerful think they can remote control SC?’
- Arnab Goswami’s exposed for creating imaginary ‘Modi Wave,’ ground reality paints contradictory pictures
- A Christian Tribal Lynched By ‘Cow Vigilantes’ in Jharkhand; Political Parties Maintain Silence
- Persecution against Christian schools in India continues
- Asaram Bapu’s son Narayan Sai convicted of rape by Surat court
- Dalit IAS officer used to think caste bias was a myth. Now he’s fighting it
Opinions & Editorials
- What Bilkis Bano Survived That Day in Gujarat, 2002 – By Harsh Mander
- Hindutva Terror – The terror trail from Nanded to Malegaon and beyond – By Teesta Setalvad
- Modi, BJP and the bid to seize control of Indian polity – By Moggallan Bharti
- How Hindu nationalism is changing India – By Angana P Chatterji
- Tired tactic – By Venkitesh Ramakrishnan
- Many Muslims have exhausted their capacity to feel fear – By Irena Akbar