Gurugram police on Friday filed a cross FIR against the Muslim family that was allegedly attacked by a mob on Holi in Bhondsi’s Bhoop Singh Nagar. The case was filed by Rajkumar, an accused in the case.… This counter allegation comes after; a Muslim family lodged a complaint against few alleged miscreants, claiming that they were attacked on the occasion of Holi, in Bhondsi area on March 23. A video of the incident, which had surfaced on social media, purportedly showed a group of men attacking the family’s male members with sticks, even as women plead for them to stop.
When Harbour MLA P.K. Sekar Babu of the DMK received petitions alleging that the names of several Muslims in his constituency in Chennai were missing, he decided to check if the charge was true. When he found the complaints to be valid, he appealed to the District Election Officer to include the deleted names on the rolls again. While work on including the missing names started a few months ago, many of the Muslim voters who complained are still waiting for their names to be included on the rolls, keeping their fingers crossed and hoping it would be done before the Lok Sabha elections.
The political atmosphere in the country has remained edgy in the last few years. Numerous people have been arrested in the past for posting comments critical of the ruling government. News reports of arrests for insulting Prime Minister Narendra Modi have popped up with an alarming regularity. The arrests include students, teachers, businessmen, auto-rickshaw drivers, activists and members of police and paramilitary forces…. As many as 55 per cent of surveyed English internet users stated that they are scared of expressing political opinions online, according to a survey by Reuters released Monday.
- In Tamil Nadu, Muslims and Dalits find it harder to stay on the rolls
- 2013 Muzaffarnagar riots: Court orders attachment proceedings against six people in murder case
- Gurugram mob attack: Police registers cross FIR against Muslim family on complaint by accused
- PM’s Chest-Thumping on ASAT Test Ominous for Peace: CNDP
- Unemployment is the single biggest issue in the country, says survey
- Two Gujarati thugs (Modi and Amit Shah) have been making us fool, says a BJP leader
- 2 days before model code, Haryana elevated wife of judge hearing Kathua case to info panel
- Congress and other opp parties release video of ‘BJP leader’ exchanging money after note ban
- 55% English-Speaking Indians Scared Of Posting Political Views Online Fearing Trouble With Govt
- ‘Biryani for terrorists’: BJP continues to milk a false claim
Opinions & Editorials
- Shadow of fascism – By Prabhat Patnaik
- Monitoring Digital Election Campaigns – Editorial
- With a Chest-Thumping Speech on ASAT Test, Narendra Modi Has Shown He Is Nervous – By Nilanjan Mukhopadhyay
- A dismal pattern – Editorial
- With Chowkidars Like These, the Nation has Nothing to Fear – By Pariplab Chakraborty
- The PM Kisan scheme’s rationale for monthly handouts of Rs 500 remains an enigma – By Neetisha Besra